Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Killer of Sheep


There was one specific scene in Charles Burnett’s Killer of Sheep that really touched me and had me thinking. This film is very genuine in the aspect of that these people are all living a very poverty stricken life in one of the worst parts of Los Angeles, the area of Watts, I can tell you personally from living in Los Angeles this isn’t a very positive vibing place compared to other parts of Los Angeles. When living somewhere like Watts you no longer become content living paycheck to paycheck in your poor household being the primary breadwinner. It becomes harder to support your children and your wife, which causes turmoil amongst the two.
I can’t actually compare my life and situation to a family living in Watts, though I can base my analysis off of what I have seen through out my life and the watching of this film. Stan is a perfect example of being non-content with his life and wanting more to be able to provide for his wife and daughter. He feels that he is failing he hates his job at the Slaughterhouse and makes little to no money. He has an opportunity to make a move with peers of his that could be very beneficial toward his situation, or end him up in jail.
What gets me about the character of Stan so much is his appreciation for life has. It is obvious that he is more then frustrated by his financial situation but he also finds solace in looking into his daughter’s eyes and being so proud, a cup of coffee, and even at one point he shares a dance with his wife that is beyond passionate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjvS8DQpt6c

Stan’s wife, who is nameless similar to the character structure of Two Lane Blacktop makes Stan realize he doesn’t need to get involved with what Stan’s friends are cooking up. It doesn’t need to get to that point where he could end up in jail or worse. At certain points throughout the film I felt like they didn’t really care for each other to much. They are very incentive towards each other and even bias like they don’t like each other, but put on a face for their child in front of her. It seems at the beginning they genuniley don’t really care for each other but I think it’s evident it is the complete opposite after watching this scene with dance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment